Seven men in court following Oxford sexual abuse raids

May 3, 2021 0 Comments

first_imgSeven men charged with histori­cal sex offenses appeared in Oxford Magistrates’ Court earlier this week. The charges include conspiracy to rape; indecent assault; kidnap; traf­ficking for sexual exploitation; bug­gery; and supplying class A, B and C drugs. The offenses are alleged to have taken place from 2000 to 2005.The men first appeared in court on the October 20 following a series of police raids on the October 18. Mr Mohammed, the lawyer of one defendant, declared that his client was “someone who vehemently denies these allegations, he is here to clear his name”.The dawn raids in which the men were first arrested took place at 11 properties and involved 160 officers from Thames Valley police force. One defendant was arrested at his place of employment, the BMW plant located in Cowley. The opera­tion, code-named Operation Rolo, took two to three months to plan.Oxford East MP Andrew Smith told Cherwell, “I strongly support, as do the public, the police action to bring these cases to justice. It’s clear from the Bullfinch enquiry that in the past victims were not always listened to. It’s good that this is be­ing rectified, and that whilst there is no room for complacency, police and social services procedures and practice have improved a lot.”Sat in the dock on October 20 was Cee J. Jackson, 54, who paused to wave to his wife as he was led down to the cells; Haji Naim Khan, 36, who gave a weak smile and waved to the dock, and Moinul Islam, 40, who was referred to by his lawyer, Julian Richards, as a “man of good character”.Mr Islam and Mr Jackson are jointly accused of conspiracy to commit rape and conspiracy to commit buggery between February and March 2014.There are another three defen­dants, who cannot be named for legal reasons, one of whom merely stared directly ahead throughout the hearing.Superintendent Joe Kidman said in a statement to the Oxford Mail, “Tackling child sexual exploita­tion, both non-recent and current, remains an absolute priority for Thames Valley Police and this com­plex investigation and yesterday’s arrests demonstrate this.”“I understand today’s events will have an impact on the community and residents will be concerned about the nature of these arrests.“As you will understand, this is an ongoing investigation. We are not able to provide all the information straight away, but we will keep the community updated when we can.“Tackling child sexual exploita­tion is an absolute priority for Thames Valley Police.”Director of Oxfordshire Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre, Lisa Ward, told Cherwell, “It’s good to see Thames Valley Police making child sexual exploitation and other forms of sexual violence a priority in our local area.“The charging of men in relation to historic offences are a reminder that the sexual abuse of children and adults—especially of women and girls—is endemic in today’s society.“Our work supporting women and girls who have experienced sexual violence across Oxfordshire tells us that this is a long-term, deep-rooted problem in society, and that survivors should be able to ac­cess specialist support, tailored to their needs and experiences should they require it.“We warmly invite anyone who feels they need support to contact us on 01865 726295. “The force has also launched an ap­peal to find a woman who gave a 16 year old victim a lift in 2004, shortly after a group of Asian men had at­tempted to assault her. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the police using the non-emergency number 101.Judge Ian Pringle QC set April 18 as a provisional trial date. The trial is expected to last two to three months and the men will next ap­pear in court on December 8.Thames Valley Police declined to comment while court proceedings were ongoing.last_img read more

Mane beats De Bruyne to PFA Fans’ Player award

September 22, 2020 0 Comments

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Liverpool forward, Sadio Mane, has won the Premier League PFA Fans’ Player of the Year award for 2019-20.The 28-year-old enjoyed a fine campaign, scoring 18 goals and providing seven assists, making him the team’s second most productive player of the season behind Mohamed Salah. Mane won the award, voted for via a poll from fans across England, ahead of Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne and Liverpool teammate Trent Alexander-Arnold, gaining 41 per cent of the vote.Virgil van Dijk, Raheem Sterling and Jamie Vardy were also nominated for the prestigious individual award, which was won by former Chelsea star Eden Hazard last year.Liverpool have unsurprisingly swept the individual prizes having romped to the title this term, ending a 30-year wait for a top-flight title in dominant fashion.Jurgen Klopp’s team amassed a club-record 99 points and finishing 18 clear of deposed champions Manchester City.Klopp won the Manager of the Year, Alexander-Arnold clinched the Young Player of the Season prize and Jordan Henderson was voted the Football Writers’ Association Men’s Footballer of the Year. Mane joined the Reds in 2016 from Southampton and has gone on to make 170 appearances in all competitions, scoring 81 goals to help them claim Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup before their Premier League success.He was the league’s joint-top scorer in 2018-19 alongside team-mate Mohamed Salah and Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.Mane earned special praise from coach Klopp recently, as the German hailed him as “world class”.“He is a complete player, offensively and defensively He works hard, he is really quick,” Klopp said. “For sure a few things we did from a tactical point of view helped the boys as well and Sadio is a good example for the improvement the whole squad.“He has obviously improved a lot in the last few years – and from a very high level already – becoming a very good player to a world-class player, no doubt about that, and he is a winner on top of that.” Tags: English Premier LeagueLiverpoolPremier League Fans’ Player AwardSadio Manelast_img read more

Bartica Regatta Motocross…BLB racing team revving for this weekend’s showdown

September 18, 2020 0 Comments

first_imgTHIS Saturday, the Annual Motocross event speeds off at the Mongrippa Hill ground in Bartica, as part of the town’s activities for the annual Regatta festivities.And, like the consistency of the Bartica Regatta that has been the annual marquee event in the town for decades, defending 125cc champions, BLB racing team, aims not only to defend their title but to be a force to reckon with for years to come.In a correspondence to the media, the Bartica-based racing team that consists of Andrew Wong with his 2018 KTM 125cc dirt bike, Bobby Rasul ( 2019 YZ Yamaha 125cc) and Stephen Vieira (2016 YZ Yamaha 125cc), noted confidence of a repeat of their impressive showing last year.At the 2018 Bartica Regatta Motocross event, Rasul and Vieira were tied for the champion biker accolade in the 125cc event after both of them notched up one win, one second and one third place finish in their three races while Wong won the third race.News from Team BLB indicates that their machines are in prime working condition while reports from Bartica has revealed that the Mongrippa Hill ground has all systems in place for keen rivalry amongst bikers from Georgetown, Essequibo and Bartica.last_img read more

Gallery: No. 1 Syracuse beats No. 17 North Carolina, 12-11

September 16, 2020 0 Comments

first_img Published on April 15, 2017 at 10:23 pm No. 1 Syracuse (10-1, 4-0 Atlantic Coast) clinched the ACC regular-season title by beating No. 17 North Carolina (6-6, 1-2), 12-11. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img