‘Danielle wouldn’t have given up, this is for her’

December 21, 2019 0 Comments

first_imgThe mother of the late Danielle McLaughlin says she is determined to improve the rights of bereaved families who lose loved ones abroad, despite waiting years for assistance after the tragic death of her daughter.Buncrana mother Andrea Brannigan has this week received confirmation that a representative of the Irish Embassy will attend the murder trial of Danielle’s alleged killer in India.Danielle was 28 years old when she was violently killed while travelling in Goa in March 2017. The trial of her alleged murderer and rapist, Vikat Bhagat (24), continues in South Goa. Danielle’s heartbroken mum Andrea says she wants to get a video link to see live proceedings from the courtroom in India.This is one of the requests that Andrea has made to the Consular Assistance Manager assigned to her last week. The manager also confirmed that a representative of the Irish Embassy will attend Bhagat’s trial on Monday, November 4th.Speaking to Donegal Daily, Andrea said that she asked for the representative to request that the case is fast-tracked through the courts.“The trial court has not been on since last Monday, it won’t be on until this Monday again, and it is only on for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. And the Indian government tells us this is fast-tracked,” she said. “I have asked for a video link so that I can see the court. I was told they said no, but if the Irish representative attends then I want them to ask too. I want to see what is happening for myself.”Andrea added that she is hoping to travel to Goa herself next year.The late Danielle McLaughlinMore than a year has passed since An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar met with Andrea and her daughter Jolene in Derry to discuss Danielle’s case and the need for change in the policies of the Department of Foreign Affairs.Andrea proposed amending the Victims Charter to include assistance for bereaved families of Irish citizens who die abroad. This amendment was to be called Danielle’s Amendment, but after a year, it has yet to be finalised.Andrea said: “The Consular Assistance Manager said they are finalising the amendment. But I don’t know what is in it. I know what we asked for, but I haven’t seen it yet.” Andrea has been invited to view the amendment in the near future, but until she sees the document, she said she will not mark it as an achievement from the meeting with the Taoiseach.“To this date I am still waiting on a liaison officer and that was one of the things that I was promised at the meeting.“I am not saying anything yet because he (Varadkar) promised me a lot last year and there have been no changes to date,” she said.Andrea’s unwavering determination comes from wanting to improve the level of assistance available for other families in the future who have to deal with the tragic loss of loved ones abroad. She said: “Hundreds of Irish people die every year abroad in different circumstances and these families are left to deal with it on their own.“I just want things to change for families. Families shouldn’t feel so alone when something happens abroad. You’re left to deal with everything on your own.”Andrea said that she won’t give up until change happens and Danielle’s Amendment is passed.“I’m quite headstrong and I will keep emailing the Department. Danielle wouldn’t have given up. This is for her. She would want to help others.”‘Danielle wouldn’t have given up, this is for her’ was last modified: November 4th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Is AT&T’s Denial of Service to Hacker Justified?

December 17, 2019 0 Comments

first_imgHacker turned security expert Kevin Mitnick has been denied service by both his web host and his cell phone provider. HostedHere.net and AT&T argue that the barrage of hacker attacks on Mitnick’s accounts make them too difficult to defend. Said The Register’s Dan Goodin, “In asking Mitnick to take his business elsewhere, [the companies] seem to be making the tacit admission that they are unable to secure the accounts of users whose only fault is being a high-profile target.” Really? Is the public surprised that hackers can penetrate these systems? When you wear the badge of “the most wanted computer criminal in United States history”, you become a moving target. Companies cower at your name, fellow hackers aim to dethrone you, and governments put you in solitary confinement for fear that your Captain Crunch-style phone phreaking skills will ignite nuclear war. Kevin Mitnick has paid dearly for his past life and has been made an example from his first arrest. But is it really surprising that AT&T and HostedHere.net are denying him service?Mitnick is probably a formidable security expert, but the simple fact of the matter is that one man, let alone one company, is unlikely to be able to defend against multiple and persistent attackers. While Mitnick spends up to $20,000 per year on his phone bill, companies are likely spending at least twice that to protect his accounts. Said Mitnick, “You’d think they’d like to talk to me and say ‘how do you think these guys are getting in?” Despite the fact that Mitnick has turned over a new leaf, one might understand why a company like AT&T would rather wash its hands of Mitnick as a client, rather than taking advice from him. After all, Mitnick’s combination of hacking and “social engineering” once gave him illegal access to computer systems at Motorola, Nokia, Siemens and allegedly the Pacific Bell Telephone Company – better known as AT&T California. The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology dana oshiro Tags:#mobile#web Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagementcenter_img Related Posts What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaceslast_img read more

Cost of Solar Electricity Hits a New Low

December 16, 2019 0 Comments

first_imgThe Palo Alto, California, city council is considering a power purchase agreement (PPA) with a developer that would let the city’s municipal electric utility buy power for about 3.7 cents per kilowatt hour — the lowest known price in the U.S. PV magazine reports that the contract would be between the city and Hecate Energy, which will supply electricity from the 26-megawatt Wilsona Solar project in Los Angeles County. The Palmdale, California, project is scheduled to begin operation in 2021 and provide 75,000 MW of electricity.The proposed deal has a 25-year base term, with optional extensions that would keep it in force for a total of 40 years. The full city council is scheduled to vote on the contract on March 21.“I have not seen a PPA for 40 years before, or a PPA for under 4 cents,” Mercom Capital CEO Raj Prabhu told the magazine. “It might make sense for both parties: Very low clean power PPA for the city and a very long-term contract for the vendor which justifies the record low price.” The website UtilityDive says that falling prices for installed solar were one reason that the industry added 7.3 gigawatts of capacity last year, which includes both utility-scale and smaller distributed energy projects. That’s more than the added capacity of new natural gas power plants.James Stack, the contract administrator for Palo Alto’s Utilities Department, says that the price is almost 50% lower than the city’s other solar contracts worked out just a few years ago. At the time, he said, those contracts were thought to be “pretty well priced.”It’s also coming at a good time. The severe statewide drought has reduced hydroelectric sources of electricity, which usually account for about half the city’s total. Replacing that with non-hydro power is forcing the city to raise its electricity rates by about 12% in July and another 8% next year.The Hecate solar project will provide about 7.5% of the city’s electricity consumption.last_img read more