Greggs’ sales boosted by lower costs

April 20, 2021 0 Comments

first_imgLike-for-like sales (LFLs) at Greggs, the BB75 bakery retailer, have increased by 3.7% – helped by weaker comparatives and lower cost inflation.In an interim management statement for the 17 weeks to 26 April 2014, Greggs said total sales were up 4%, driven by improved availability of fresh sandwiches, longer opening hours and the lower-than-expected cost inflation.In the same period last year, the key performance indicator of LFLs was -4.4%, as Greggs’ trade was hit by the poor weather and snow.In a statement the company said: “Market conditions remain highly competitive, but we are encouraged by the performance in the year to date. We have delivered continuing improvement in like-for-like sales, albeit against the weak comparatives of last year, and strong cost control.Challenging“The second half is likely to be more challenging as we come up against relatively stronger sales comparables and likely cost inflation. Overall we expect to deliver satisfactory financial results for the year and good further strategic progress.”The company also confirmed it had finished the consultation period at 79 in-store bakeries and the majority would be shut by the end of the year.During the period Greggs closed 28 shops, opened 20 new ones and refitted 66 sites. The company also benefited from its closure programme by selling freehold properties for £1.4m.Commenting on the lower costs, Greggs said: “Cost control has been strong in the year to date and input cost inflation has been lower than we have experienced in recent years. As a result there has been some benefit to margin in the period. The business remains highly cash-generative and maintains a strong balance sheet position.”last_img read more

Skaneateles hockey beats Whitesboro in OT, 3-2

September 17, 2020 0 Comments

first_imgEven with an 18-0-1 record and a no. 1 state ranking it has held all season, the Skaneateles boys ice hockey team still had not locked up the Division II regular-season title and playoff top seed.That still hinged on the Lakers defeating state no. 4-ranked Whitesboro in last Wednesday’s regular-season finale at Allyn Arena – and with a goal in the waning seconds of overtime, Skaneateles did pull it out, 3-2.Whitesboro had gone 6-0-1 since the Lakers shut them out 5-0 back on Jan. 14 at Whitestown Community Center. They were originally supposed to have the rematch on Feb. 7, but it got snowed out. Now, with the outright league title still undecided, the Lakers moved out in front in the first period when Thomas Coyne’s shot was not held on to by Warriors goalie Cameron Manley and Colin Weeks put in the rebound.Whitesboro quickly answered, tying it on James Kraeger’s power-play goal, and though the Lakers dominated  possession, Manley’s fine work in the net kept it 1-1 for a while.And even when Jack Henry converted on the power play to put Skaneateles back in front, the Warriors didn’t flinch, picking up its own pressure early in the third period as the game stayed close. Tags: ice hockeyskaneatelescenter_img With 4:25 left, the Lakers thought it had an insurance goal, but officials ruled that Garrett Krieger had guided the puck into the net with his glove, so it was disallowed.Given a reprieve, Whitesboro attacked again and, with 2:20 to play in regulation, Troy Chamberlain ripped a one-timed shot past Adam Casper. Though the Warriors had only taken 11 shots to the Lakers’ 34, the game was 2-2 and going to OT.Ultimately, Whitesboro paid for a pair of penalties called in the five-minute extra period. One was killed off, but with just 7.3 seconds to play Charlie Russell jammed the puck in front of Manley and, in the ensuing scramble, Cole Heintz converted the game-winner.Now the Lakers await next Wednesday’s Section III semifinal against Cortland-Homer, which has more stakes besides just a trip to the March 2 sectional final at the War Memorial against Whitesboro or Clinton.No matter who wins the sectional title game, both teams will have spots reserved in the state tournament since Section III gets an at-large bid, which in the past has produced state champions – including when Skaneateles pulled it off in 2015.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story last_img read more

Where is the hot dog eating contest in 2020? New Coney Island location after move during COVID-19

August 13, 2020 0 Comments

first_imgThe location of the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest in 2020 technically has not changed from its traditional setting in terms of geography. The world’s best competitive eaters will still assemble in Coney Island, a neighborhood on the southern coast of Brooklyn, N.Y., to consume absurd amounts of hot dogs and buns.Because of the coronavirus pandemic, though, the 2020 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest will not be the public, outdoor party it has been for so many years.  That’s the bad news for anybody who was hoping to attend the hot dog eating contest that traditionally is held on the corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues in Coney Island. The good news is ESPN will still broadcast this year’s Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, with coverage starting at noon ET Saturday, July 4.Below is all you need to know about the location change for the 2020 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest.MORE: Odds & betting guide for Nathan’s contest 2020Where is the hot dog eating contest in 2020?Location: Coney Island, Brooklyn, N.Y.Date: Saturday, July 4Start time: Noon ETTV channel: ESPNMajor League Eating, the organization that oversees the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating contests and all other professional eating contests, makes clear in its release that this year’s July 4 event will still take place in Coney Island, Brooklyn, N.Y., where it has been every year since 1916.The difference in 2020, per the release, is that the hot dog eating contest will take place “in a private location with COVID-19 safety measures in place.” The 2020 hot dog eating contest will take place indoors at a location not far from the corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues.Thousands of people typically attend the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, so MLE needed to keep the location of the 2020 event undisclosed to the public.MLE also announced the 2020 hot dog eating contest will include just five competitors in both the men’s and women’s competitions, rather than the traditional 15 in each, to account for social distancing guidelines amid the pandemic.“While I know all New Yorkers would relish the opportunity to watch the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4th, an event like this can only go forward if the appropriate non-essential gathering and sanitation guidance can be followed,” Governor Andrew Cuomo’s spokesperson Jack Sterne recently told the New York Post. Getty Images Nathan’s Famous hotdog stand on the boardwalk at Coney Island https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/b1/89/nathans-coney-island-063020-getty-ftrjpg_1odkg7bnfxag3187b9wblg29zs.jpg?t=104444011&w=500&quality=80Said MLE competition host George Shea: “We had an enormous number of inquiries related to, ‘Will it happen, please don’t cancel.’ We were very pleased to be able to figure it out. I think that there are a lot of people very happy to have something typical of the summer. …”You can’t cancel Thanksgiving, you can’t cancel Christmas and you can’t cancel the Fourth of July. And canceling the hot dog contest would be like canceling the Fourth of July. That is why we had to make it work one way or another.”The new location for the 2020 hot dog eating contest is actually a game-changer, as the competition that typically takes place outdoors in the heat and humidity of July now will be held in a controlled climate that should benefit the competitors.”There’s a little bit of a bonus, because we’re gonna be eating in air conditioning and there are less eaters,” said Joey Chestnut, who has won 12 of the last 13 men’s hot dog eating contests, in a recent chat with TMZ.Chestnut, of course, set a world record when he ate 74 hot dogs and buns during the 2018 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. He dropped to 71 hot dogs and buns during his win last year, but the unique circumstances of the 2020 event have him motivated to notch a new record. Joey Chestnut https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/f/c7/joeychestnut070419gettyftr_1p49cyhnfb8961f0zubk6efsus.jpg?t=-1106257445&w=500&quality=80 (Getty Images) “There’s a good chance that we might have better conditions for a world record, and I’ma be pushing for it,” Chestnut told TMZ. “My record of 74 … 75 just sounds like a good number, but we’ll see. If I’m feeling it, if I’m in the perfect rhythm, 77 is doable.”ESPN’s coverage of the 2020 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest is scheduled to start at noon ET on Saturday. The women’s competition coverage will begin at 12:20 p.m. ET, and the men’s competition coverage will begin at 12:40 p.m. ET.Encore presentations of the hot dog eating contest will air later Saturday on ESPN2 (4 p.m. ET and 8 p.m. ET) and on ESPNews (2 p.m. ET and 9 p.m. ET). It will also re-air Sunday on ESPNNews (midnight ET and 2 p.m. ET) and on ESPN2 (11 p.m. ET).last_img read more